Are you interested in learning about the benefits of video games for seniors? We spent hours researching and gathering the most important statistics and facts.
It is clear that video games can be an innovative solution to counteract rising healthcare costs, and individual deficiencies. Another benefit of video games is an increase of life quality and its ability to help seniors become superagers.
- Older adults who play regular or occasional video games are less affected by depression.
Why this matters: “More than two million of the 34 million Americans age 65 and older suffer from some form of depression.” Playing video games could be an important strategy in mental health prevention and/or treatment.
- Seniors who enjoy video games report higher levels of well-being than non-gamers.
Why this matters: Playing video games could be a successful strategy for older adults to increase their well-being levels.
- Elderlies who enjoy video games report higher levels of social functioning than non-gamers.
Why this matters: Playing video games could help elderlies with successful aging.
Benefits of Video Games for Seniors on Brain Health
- Playing video games improves memory function in senior`s brains.
Why this matters: Playing video games could be an important treatment to stop decline in memory in elderlies.
- In the US around 3.8 millions people over 65 play video games
Why this matters: Playing video games has become a trend among seniors that could have positive long term effects on our aging society.
Source: ESA Sports
- “Challenge, socialization, fun, providing learning opportunities, and escape from daily routine were extracted as the main reasons why older people would be interested in playing digital games.”
Why this matters: Understanding players’ motivation and needs helps to design learning games that have health benefits for seniors.
Benefits of Video Games for Seniors on Dementia
- “Games designed based on learning theories and input of end users and a multi-disciplinary team familiar with dementia and aging may have the potential of maintaining capacity and improving functionality of people with dementia.”
Why this matters: These games could improve life quality of dementia patients and their families and reduce healthcare costs significantly.
- Serious games that are tailored to both socio-demographic and change can positively impact healthy behavior in adults.”
Why this matters: With rising healthcare costs, insurances and public health need to find new ways to promote healthy lifestyle among adults.
Benefits of Video Games for Seniors with Stroke
- Digital and virtual games are successfully being used for rehabilitation therapies. They help stroke patients regain upper arm extremity functionality.
Why this matters: These therapies are cost effective and can be practiced at home.
- “Digital and virtual games are effective ways to improve physical strength in patients with issues such as balance weakness or upper extremity dysfunction.”
Why this matters: These games give more life quality and independence to older seniors and increase confidence and mental strength.
- “Exergames (defined as technology-driven physical activities, such as video game play) significantly impacted the older adults’ physical activity level as participants experienced improved balance and cognitive function.”
Why this matters: Activities like cybercycling or interactive video dance games can easily be integrated in seniors lifestyle and result in positive health effects.
- “Embedding gaming contexts into strength exercises increased the number of repetitions of strength exercises (training volume) significantly.”
Why this matters: Strength exercises help to prevent osteoporosis and frailty by stimulating the growth of muscle and bone. Thus, motivating seniors to do more repetitions can be a new prevention method in keeping elderlies fit and healthy.
- “Effects of exergames and games for health have received at least partial support:
- Improvement of strength
- Increase of basic motor control (e.g. simple reactions, balance)
- Higher levels of health-related knowledge
- Improvement of self-efficacy and other motivational, emotional and volitional components
- Increase of social interactions and communication”
Why this matters: Show the strong potential of exergames to promote a healthy lifestyle for seniors and its potential to lower healthcare costs.
A Word From healthylifestyleflorida.com
The most important benefit of video games for seniors is its potential to increase successful aging. Try digital games – you will love what you can be.